5 Easy Ways to Convert HEIC Images to JPG on Mac
Apple integrated HEIC in 2017 as its default photograph format. Every user that updated their devices to iOS 11 got a new HEIC (High-Efficiency Image Container). It was developed by MPEG and introduced in 2015. HEIC stores one or more pictures saved in the HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format) that uses an advanced compression method. This modern compression method allows digital photographs to be created in smaller file sizes while maintaining higher quality.
Apple decided to replace the standard JPG (JPEG) image format with HEIC, yet JPG is one of the main image formats commonly used for digital photography because it's compatible with almost every device. Even though the JPG degree of compression can be adjusted, it leads to choosing between storage size and image quality, and sometimes your image quality and file size might be compromised. In comparison, HEIC reduces the file size by about 50% while preserving the same visual quality. It can store multiple images in one file, while JPEG format can hold only one photo in one file. HEIC is now the default image format for devices running on iOS 11 or later and macOS High Sierra or later.
HEIC is mainly used to store Live Photos that are low frame rate videos. The 3-second moving photo is actually multiple photos saved in the image container. A still image encoded with the HEVC H.265 (High-Efficiency Video Coding) video format.
It is also a go-to picture format for iPhone photographers as HEIC supports 16-bit deep color images. It means that taken pictures retain original vividness and capture a wide array of colors, unlike the old 8-bit capacity JPG format. HEIC photos are also very simple to edit. You can easily apply changes on numerous layers, crop, and rotate your image without saving or altering them again.
If you only use iOS and macOS, then there is a high chance that you didn't encounter any problems and, for the most part, didn't even notice when an image is in HEIC or JPG format because usually, it doesn't matter.
Mac and other Apple devices, as well as Samsung and Google, have successfully adopted HEIC, and most social platforms will automatically convert HEIC files to JPG. The same goes when sharing HEIC files to non-Apple device users. Still, sometimes you might run into problems using images in this format. There might be issues with Windows OS and third-party photo apps as they don't support HEIC yet. Converting your images to JPG would mean that you can use your photographs with any software you usually do.
Until HEIC becomes the standard, you might want to know how to easily convert HEIC images to JPG format on you Mac, so when an issue arises with incompatibility, you can quickly resolve it.
Table of Contents:
- Method 1. Drag And Drop
- Method 2. Export Images In Different Formats
- Method 3. Export From The Preview App
- Method 4. Exporting With Quick Action Function
- Method 5. Online Conversion Tools
- Video On How To Convert HEIC Images to JPG on Mac
Drag And Drop
The Photos App has an amazingly easy way to convert HEIC photos to JPG by dragging and dropping photos from the app directly to your desktop.
1. Open the Photos app from your Launchpad.
2. Find your picture.
3. Click on your picture and drag it to desktop or some other folder within Finder and then drop it.
Export Images In Different Formats
You can also convert images in the Photos app via the export function. You can use Export when you need to change photo configuration settings.
1. Open the Photos app form you Launchpad.
2. Select image or images.
3. In the menu bar, click on "File".
4. Click on "Export" and then "Export Photo".
5. In the dialog box, choose JPEG, preferred image quality, and tweak other configurations as desired.
6. Click on "Export".
Export From The Preview App
Convert HEIC photos to JPEG prom the built-in Preview app using the export function.
1. Open Finder.
2. Find a folder with stored HEIC photos.
3. Select image or images.
4. Right-click on the selected photo/photos.
5. Choose "Open With" and then choose "Preview".
6. In the menu bar, click on "Edit" and select "Select all".
7. Then click on "File" and select "Export Selected Images".
8. Select the export folder, click on "Options", select JPEG from the format menu, and choose.
Execute the 6th step only if you choose more then one photo.
Exporting With Quick Action Function
To use Quick Action to quickly convert HEIC to JPG, first, you need to set up Quick Action, and then you'll be able to convert your photos easily.
1. Launch Automator from the Launchpad.
2. Click "New Document".
3. From the template list, choose "Quick Action" and click on "Choose".
4. In the search bar, type "Copy Finder".
5. Drag "Copy Finder Items" to the right side of the screen.
6. In the search box, type "change type".
7. Drag "Change Type of Images" to the right side of the screen.
8. Change type to JPEG.
9. In the menu bar, click "File" and "Save".
10. Name your action “Export” or "Export to JPG" and click “Save” again.
11. Open the folder with your HEIC image.
12. Right-click on your image, choose "Quick Action" and "Export".
If you want to convert images without creating a copy, skip steps 4 to 6.
Online Conversion Tools
If you have an older macOS version and none of the above methods helped, you can always convert your HEIC files with online HEIC converter tools. There are plenty of free and paid conversion tools. Choose the one that’s best for you and you’re good to go.
Video On How To Convert HEIC Images to JPG on Mac